Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Variety Show

I stepped up to the stage. Sweat poured down me like a waterfall as I gazed over the what now seemed like millions of people in the crowd.
“Please don’t mess up, please don’t mess up,” I recited in my head as I struck the first note. The lights dimmed and my variety show performance began.
I decided to try out for the variety show when my friend told me that I was good at guitar and that we should play as a band in the variety show. I was skeptical at first, as anyone would be, about how we would pull this off. Two people does not make a band (unless you’re The Proclaimers). My friend and I already had the guitar and vocals covered but a drummer would be hard to find. Luckily my other friend who lived in my neighborhood had picked up drums about a year ago and was actually pretty good. We recruited him and were all set to go.
Of course this was 9 months before variety show tryouts even began so you’d think we’d be well practiced and ready right? Wrong. In the 9 months before the tryouts we practiced maybe once or twice. The whole thing seemed a mess to me and I almost quit halfway through. Luckily I was persuaded not to and rejoined the group.
About two weeks before tryouts we buckled down and really started practicing hard. However, we found ourselves in quite a predicament. We realized that we needed a bass player to make our performance sound good. I searched high and low but couldn’t find one anywhere. Bass just didn’t seem to be a popular instrument.
Exactly a week before tryouts my friend managed to find a bass player and ,although we were barely ready, we tried out not long after.
When we were accepted into the variety show I was as giddy as a schoolgirl. My head buzzed with thoughts of huge stadiums and all of my classmates looking up to me. WE practiced and practiced with the other variety show acts until we were near perfect. Finally the moment came when I got to step onto the stage with my band and play my heart out.
The whole experience of being on stage was nerve racking of course, but well worth it. When I heard the applause at the end of our act I felt great about myself and everything around me. And finally without even a single boo, my band left the stage and the curtain set on the variety show.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! When I read this I felt like I was on stage with you. But you don't need to be nervous, I've heard you play before and your great! :)

    ReplyDelete