Thursday, November 12, 2009

The American Scholar

I think that Emerson’s theory is still true in today’s America.

One reason I think this is because today most people only do one specific function their whole lives. Emerson says, “ And strut about so many walking monsters – a good finger, a neck, a stomach, an elbow, but never man.” People do one specific function and become it. Another example happened to me. From ages 5 to 7 it had always been my job to pull the weeds. However, when my Dad asked me to mow the lawn for the first time I was flabbergasted. I had no idea how to do it because I only knew how to pick weeds.
The other reason I think Emerson’s theory still holds true is because people are educated to only do one job. Think about this. You are going to college to be an engineer. Once you get out of college what do you think your going to be? An engineer because that’s all you can do and all you know how to do. People today are educated as if they’re part of an assembly line. They do one task all day and at the end that’s all they can do. as it is all they know.

No comments:

Post a Comment